I just watched my stats and found this incoming link coming from viralvideochart.
It’s the first time I heard about this tool and I must say I like it. The video listed have been compiled by Unruly Media.
It’s not new at all (Jeff Jarvis was blogging about it 2 years ago)
I especially advise their resources section where you will find all you need to know about the art of viral videos.
A few interesting things I’ve noted:
– Duncan Watts, the Godfather of all viral marketers proposes an approach called “big-seed” marketing in order to combine virality and control offered by traditional media planning (and maximize your chances of being noticed).
– There are very dirty strategies to maximize your hits on video sharing websites. I doubt they are efficient for your conversion and satisfaction figures.
– Blip, Metacafe and Dailymotion are the most stringent sites for counting views
– The life cycle of viral video tends to tail off. After 11 days, you basically reached 25% of the audience that your video will reach after one year.
– A lot of patterns are just made up (thus non replicable) and that gives even more credit to Duncan Watts big-seed principle. If you want the insurance to be seen, you’d better invest in a video campaign and hope that viewers will share your video.
PS: it’s not only about hits, it’s also about impact. Watch the Dynamic Logic conclusions on impactful videos.